Concept of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao in India. Erna Solberg once said, “When you invest in a girl’s education, she feeds herself, her children, her community and her nation”. Education of a girl child is the first stride towards the wholesome development of a country. Education in India is a fundamental right of every girl child.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) was launched on 22nd January 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Panipat in Haryana. it is a combination of three ministries- Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource Development.
PURPOSE OF BETI BACHAO BETI PADHAO YOANA
- In 2001 the child sex ratio in India (0-6 years) was a mere 927 girls per 1,000 boys, which further declined in 2011 to a staggering 918 girls for every 1,000 boys. There felt a need to ensure the protection and empowerment of females.
- to help in removing gender-based discrimination.
- provide girl child education and enable her participation.
BENEFITS OF THE SCHEME
- Prevent female infanticide, CSR puts a light on the pre-birth discrimination on the basis of gender.
- Under the scheme, district authorities are required to effectively monitor and ensure that the use of sex-determination tools by families and doctors lead to stringent action by law.
- The government has been actively working to converge BBBP with other schemes that have been implemented for the well-being of girls in India.
- For example, the Sukanya Samriddhi scheme is a small savings scheme, the parents of a girl or a legal guardian can open dedicated savings account for her in any post office or in some of the authorized commercial banks.
- Ensure every girl child gets a quality education. Under the BBBP scheme, district-level education officials have to ensure that the benefit of free elementary education reaches all the girls in their areas.
Recently, Rajnath Singh approves the admission of girl students in Sainik schools this decision is in line with the objective of the government towards greater inclusiveness, gender equality, enabling greater participation of women in armed forces and strengthening the motto of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’, propagated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Govt has identified 100 Districts on the basis of Low Child Sex Ration as per the 2011 Census.
- Indian Medical Association ( IMA) has supported this yojana.
- Some improvement has been seen in some districts where the sex ratio was worst before the start of this movement.
There is a need for creating awareness among the people about the need of the daughters and their education. Schools and higher educational institutions can do a lot in this regard. So get ready to be the part of this noble and necessary move if we wish for development.